Eleven Images, Eleven Words

After the briefing last week we were set the task of gathering eleven images which reflected the provided word list. The images which I photographed during the past week and their paired words are shown above in the image gallery. I found the task to be quite challenging as I usually use photography as a tool in order to capture and record information in a more spontaneous manner. Photographing visuals which I have stumbled across and find inspiring. To directly search for a visual representation of a given word was a very different approach. However, as the task proceeded I learned to step away from the words and focus on interesting finds and compositions as I usually would. I realised that in most cases I could interpret my images in a way that successfully represented the given words. I found words such as erratic, fluid and chaotic quite easy to represent as when thinking of these words we can immediately associate them to something visual. However, words such as subverted, haphazard and revolutionary, for me, were more difficult to represent in a visual form.

During the the second meeting point of this project, we were instructed to place our individual images, according to the word we had paired them with, on the appropriate wall as shown in image 12. It was interesting to see how everybody had responded to the task and the variety of ways in which people had chosen to visually represent the words through photography. Viewing the images as a collection helped me understand different ways in which I could have approached the representation of a particular word. In groups we discussed the images and how each collection linked to the paired word.

As a group we recognised that many of the words had developed a themed response. For example we recognised that the word ‘illusory’ had often been represented through a visual image which seemed to play with our eyes, distort the subject and the way in which we viewed it.  Heavy patterns, optical illusions and out of focus images were themes which we recognised amongst this grouping. Themes of pattern and distortion were introduced.

As a group we also began to recognise that many of the image groupings seemed to cross over between particular words. For example, there was a crossover between the images representing the words erratic and chaotic and also between the words abstracted and unrecognisable. Throughout the images representing erratic and chaotic, there was a feeling of busyness and being out of control often visualised through intersecting lines and layering. Comparing images from the groupings of abstracted and fluid was interesting due to the contrast in line and form captured. Amongst the images between these two groups there was a significant, direct contrast. The lines captured in the ‘fluid’ images were mostly soft, curved and organic, contrasting with the mostly angular and straight lines of the ‘abstracted’ images which were often quite geometric in represtation. This shows that line and form effects the feeling of an image and the way in which we view the subject.